Junior/Senior Computational Biologist
Fusion Genomics is looking to hire a full-time Senior Computational Biologist to join our software development team in an exciting and highly dynamic start-up environment.
The successful applicant will participate in developing, improving and maintaining bioinformatics tools that will advance our NGS assays. This will entail the analysis and interpretation of assay results from genomic clinical datasets, developing genomic models using machine learning, and providing analysis support to our colleagues and external collaborators. The successful candidate will work independently but will interact with software programmers, database developers, other bioinformaticians and laboratory personnel. This role requires a broad knowledge of bioinformatics statistics, and programming, paired with effective communication skills, meticulous attention to detail in analysis, and timeliness.
- Develop and maintain bioinformatics pipelines to analyze genomic data from infectious diseases.
- Provide bioinformatics support for clinical/analytical validation of genomic assays.
- Produce thorough but concise written documentation of algorithms, validations, SOPs, and other processes and procedures as required.
- Perform literature search, testing and validation of new data analysis software / techniques.
- Foster effective and collaborative working relationships with fellow employees, management and external partners.
- Support and assist colleagues in data preparation and bioinformatics analysis.
- Contribute to manuscript drafting for peer-reviewed journals.
- PhD or MSc from a quantitative field with strong programming experience (bioinformatics, computational biology, data science, statistics, applied math, computer science, or an allied field). At least 2 years of recent related experience.
- Experience in implementing and validating bioinformatics methods.
- Experience working with NGS analysis tools such as SAMtools, BWA, and Bowtie2.
- Proficiency in working in a Unix environment, including experience with shell scripting and common command-line tools.
- Working knowledge of distributed version control systems, such as GIT.
- Proven expertise with Python, C/C++ and or other similar high-level languages.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in spoken and written English.
- Demonstrated ability to efficiently organize work assignments and establish priorities.
- Proven interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional team.
- Background in molecular biology and/or infectious diseases a plus.
- Experienced in the application of machine learning algorithms a plus.
Location: Vancouver, Lower Mainland
FUSION GENOMICS is located at SFU Venture Labs in Discovery Park on the main SFU campus in Burnaby, BC. We offer a highly competitive compensation package that includes a base salary and health benefits. Combine that with the opportunity and challenge to develop your career and we hope you will see FUSION as a great fit for your next career move.
How to ApplyPlease email email@example.com with a cover letter and CV attached.